How Do I Use Soap Nuts For Laundry?
Place 5 nuts in the cotton bag provided or in an old sock (and tie the end) and place them in your washing machine; you do not add detergent or fabric as the nuts are also a natural fabric softener. The soap nuts go through the wash and rinse cycles. When removing your laundry from the washing machine you should set the bag of nuts to the side because if you do cold water washes you can use the same soap nuts for 4 more loads of laundry; if you do warm water washes you can use the same soap nuts for 3 more loads of laundry; and if you do hot water washes you can use the same soap nuts for 2 more loads of laundry.
Other Benefits Of Using Soap Nuts
One of the first things you will notice is the lack of lint in the lint tray of your dryer. The reason is because soap nuts do not contain chemicals which break down the fibers in your clothing, so clothing lasts longer. You will notice lint when you wash towels and sweaters as they both contain shorter fibers.
Soap nuts are also
- 100% Certified Organic (USDA & Eco-Cert Certified Organic ) (the ones we sell are organic, we can’t guarantee they all are)
- 100% Natural, Safe & Hypoallergenic, Environmentally Friendly & 100% Fragrance Free
- Protects your family from being exposed to toxins, carcinogens, skin irritants and endocrine disruptors
- Chemical free and therefore leaves no chemical residue on clothing
- Replaces laundry soap & fabric softener
- Lowers the cost per load of laundry
- Safe for Delicate Fibers & Septic Systems
- Multi-purpose can be used to make liquid household cleaners
- Soap Nuts are low sudsing so they are perfect for high efficiency washing machines
How Long Do They Last?
If you use soap nuts in cold water they will last for approximately 5-8 loads, warm water 4-5 loads and hot water 2-3 loads.
Do They Work?
Yes. They contain surfactants. Surfactants work by breaking the surface water tension so it can penetrate into the fabrics easier allowing the water to break up the dirt, grease and grime from fabrics.
Where Can I Buy Soap Nuts In Canada And The US?
Glad you asked! 😉 You can buy them from our online shop.
Other DIY Projects
They are also multi-purpose.
DIY Household Cleaner: Place 20 nuts into 6 cups of boiling water, turn heat down and simmer for 45 minutes. Let cool. Lift soap nuts out and you have liquid soap nuts for all purpose cleaning.
DIY Hair and Body Shampoo: Same as above. Store in glass jar in the refrigerator.